Smoke Alarm Needed

HOME The Arena Lettings & Management Forum Smoke Alarm Needed

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Author

ammik

Ground floor entrance, straight up stairs to accommodation. Need for a smoke alarm in the entrance hall..? Anyone?

MF

Yes.

ammik

Seems like nonsense given there’s nothing more than the front door. Nothing whatsoever gas or electrical down there. Literally door, five foot of floor, then the stairs.

Maybe someone in government thinks we are all at risk of someone pouring petrol through the letterbox..!

JJGeorge

Once implemented, the Regulations will require a smoke alarm on every floor where there is accommodation and also a CO alarm in any habitable rooms with a solid fuel appliance. Local authorities have a duty to serve notice on the landlord if there is a breach of the Regulations and can execute remedial action if necessary and make a penalty charge up to £5,000.

Quoted from a landlord legal website, hope this helps. I’d say just to do it, They’ll fine you for anything they can.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by  JJGeorge.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by  JJGeorge.

Clarkuk

Regulations say yes, common sense also says yes

You can never have too many smoke alarms (well you can but you’ll see where i’m coming from)

Whats the worst that can happen if you do? costs you money

Whats the best outcome? saves a life

Easy decision – put it in

ringi

every floor where there is accommodation” – but is a hallway that just has a front door accommodation?

However what if someone puts a burning object in the letter box…

pierce

Your local fire service will provide you with the alarms and if the tenant requests it, they will come and do a fire risk assessment and install the alarms wheer needed – So that will save you time and money but as others have touched on, I would put one up for the sake of a tenner 🙂

ammik

Cheers all.

ammik

I’m back!

So we’ve decided to stick a smoke alarm in the aforementioned property. But the property was built in 2006, requiring mains powered smoke alarms on the first and second floors. And they’re there, though expire next year.

Does this entrance floor need mains powered too given the build year?!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.