Backing out of an employment contract

HOME The Arena Employment Forum Backing out of an employment contract

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Author

PrinceOfProbate

I’m hoping you may be able to help me out with some advice.

Currently I am working as a negotiator in the East Midlands, this has been my first job and I have loved it. I am now taking the move to try and have a go at the London market.

After loads of interviews I had boiled my options down to 2 firms which I wanted to go for. One of these offered me a position (company A) and the other company turned me down (company B).

I have since received my contract of employment, but have not signed yet. Company B have not said that they have another position for me closer to where I would be living and they really really want me to apply. I have seen what they are offering with the salary and it is very tempting – much more than company A

If I was successful with Company B and took the role, would this damage my reputation in London? Or would this be forgotten about quickly?

Any advice you have is very welcome.

AgencyInsider

Did company B only turn you down because of the geography of your home to the place of work? If so then their re-offer is fine. If it was for any other reason, what changed their minds about you?

As for company A – they may be hacked off if you don’t take up the position but you have not signed your contract and until that point you are at liberty to change your mind. It would be forgotten very quickly – unless you ever re-applied to them in the future.

Oh, and by the way – money is important but it certainly isn’t everything.

Good luck

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.