New league tables of estate agencies have appeared on the internet, showing Purplebricks on the top of the leaderboard while Connells has overtaken Countrywide in terms of listings as the UK’s largest estate agent.
However, it is not known who has placed the league tables online and who made EYE aware of them.
We have made repeated attempts to ask them to respond but without success.
Various sources that we thought might have provided the information have denied this is the case.
We have also seen other new statistics, not provided online or anywhere in the public domain, which show somewhat different figures, but nevertheless show Purplebricks firmly ahead of any other single-brand agent.
There is absolutely no suggestion that Purplebricks itself has tried to lodge this information with us, and the language used does not tally with anything Purplebricks has previously released to us.
Robert May, one of those we asked about the mystery league table, told us last night that it was nothing to do with him.
He said: “I can see no practical use in such a league table. It is of no help to vendors choosing an agent to successfully sell their home. It might have some value to someone but I can’t think who. Listings is vanity, completions is sanity.”
Despite the anonymity and our being unable to vouch for the tables we show below, we thought they looked interesting enough to share with readers.
Our unknown correspondent tells us: “We have spent a considerable amount of time producing the three estate agency league tables as of December 2017.
“We are trying to provide some transparency to the amount of current property available (not including Under Offer, SSTC, commercial or new build) properties for sale with the major players in the industry.”
The last time anything similar was published was in 2009, when Estate Agency News was still published. Its methodology was to do with physical size of each company by number of branches: http://www.estateagencynews.co.uk/league.asp
The latest methodology looks to be completely different and goes by property listings on Rightmove, Zoopla, OnTheMarket, Scottish portal S1Homes, Irish websites Property Pal and Property News, and Home.
If the assessment is accurate, then Purplebricks is the largest single estate agency brand by listing – a claim that Purplebricks itself makes.
It is followed by Your Move, with two Connells brands in third and fourth place, followed by haart.
By estate agency group, Connells beats Countrywide into second place, with Purplebricks in third.
The third league table shows that Purplebricks also tops the list of hybrid/online agents – and by the kind of margin which enabled it to claim this month that it now has 74% of the online/hybrid market share.
The notes that follow the league tables are made by the compiler.
Estate Agency Brand Table
This table shows the top 20 estate agency brands in the UK by number of available properties in Dec 2017.
|Rank||Estate Agency Brand||Available Properties|
|1||Purplebricks (Hybrid/ Online)||14,514|
|2||Your Move (LSL)||6,498|
|3||William H. Brown (Connells)||5,509|
|6||Reeds Rains (LSL)||4,372|
|9||Express Estate Agency (Hybrid/ Online)||3,043|
|11||Bairstow Eves (Countrywide)||2,410|
|16||Pattinson Estate Agents||1,889|
|18||Kinleigh Folkard & Hayward||1,770|
Estate Agency Group Table
This table shows the top 20 estate agency groups in the UK by number of available properties in Dec 2017.
The brands for all estate agencies have been combined into groups. For example, Ward & Partners, Cubitt & West, Douglas Allen and Pittis are combined to give a grand total for Arun Estates.
|Rank||Estate Agency Group||Available Properties|
|3||Purplebricks (Hybrid/ Online)||14,514|
|6||The Property Franchise Group||4,311|
|10||Express Estate Agency (Hybrid/ Online)||3,043|
|14||Pattinson Estate Agents||1,889|
|15||Leaders Romans Group||1,850|
|17||Kinleigh Folkard & Hayward||1,770|
|20||YOPA (Hybrid/ Online)||1,640|
Hybrid/ Online Estate Agency Table
This table shows the top 20 hybrid/ online estate agencies in the UK by number of available properties in Dec 2017.
|Rank||Hybrid/ Online Estate Agency||Available Properties|
|2||Express Estate Agency||3,043|
|13||Open House Estate Agents||252|
|14||Excel Estate Agency||228|
|16||Sell Simple Estate Agency||189|
Here are some of the key findings and general comments:
- The tables have been generated based on data from December 2017. This is the end of the quietest quarter of the year so available properties are expected to be at its lowest point due to seasonality
- Connells are (maybe surprisingly to some) the largest estate agency group in the UK with narrowly more properties than Countrywide
- Purplebricks now comfortably the most prominent For Sale board in the country
- Connells’ main brands appear to be faring better than Countrywide’s
- Two hybrid/ online estate agents, Purplebricks and Express Estate Agency, are in the top ten in both Brand and Group tables
- Other heavily backed hybrid/ online estate agents are struggling to gain momentum
- Many of the largest traditional estate agencies have seen a huge drop in available listings over recent years, no greater examples being Countrywide, Connells, LSL and Spicerhaart
- easyProperty’s listings were taken from their website and then cross-referenced with the major property websites to see if they are currently available for sale. We are confident that the figure of 1,075 is an accurate figure.